Thursday, July 15, 2010

blackberries

My wonderful bride-to-be friend Kat, gave me some homegrown blackberries a few weeks ago from her Aunt. I was in the middle of moving, then headed out of town for a few weeks so I froze them and thought about what to do with them while I was gone. Smoothies, bread, muffins, pie, scones... So many options, but then it came to me! Mom has this amazing cherry cobbler recipe and it just so happened that I was home and could photo-copy it. So I scrounged around through her stack of cook books and came up with this...
Then Alex came to visit and we had some of her friends over for dinner. I decided to make the cobbler for them! I added lemon juice and rind to the fruit part of it, kinda gave it an extra something. Add a little vanilla ice cream and vio-la!


There are wild blackberry bushes in Seattle everywhere I turn. They are all starting to turn from green to pink to dark purple which means it's time for me to go pick them! I'm hoping to get a bunch, freeze them, then use them throughout the year. I mean, if we're being honest-what is better than wild, free, ripe-on-the-vine blackberries :)

Thanks to Kat and Aunt Val for the amazing contribution, I thoroughly enjoyed your blackberries :)

No comments:

Post a Comment