Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Summer Flavors

Yesterday Alex and I toured our way through the wonderful city of Seattle. The day started at the famous Russian bakery, Pirosky's. It's down by pikes and always smells wonderful, with a line out the door. I've been intrigued/intimidated by this tiny shop since I first saw it a couple years ago. We weren't really sure what to expect, but were excited to give it a go.

So many choices to pick from but we settled on marionberry and a spinach, cheese and egg one. Let me tell you- it did not disappoint. The flaky crust led perfectly into the sweet and savory flavors, leaving us discussing what we were going to order next time. Always a good sign.

From there we walked around Pikes a little bit, sampling, looking at jewelry, taking pictures (of course!) and making friends with the fruit stand boys. They all seem to think they have the best fruit, so we let them try to convince us by sampling nectarine, peaches, and cherries.

I love the amount of produce that is only available in theses short months of summer. I could live off of rainer cherries and every variety of berry right now.
You've already heard about the amazing chocolate tour, so pick up after that. Alex and I discussed out need for carrots and water after ingesting so much chocolaty goodness. We promptly proceeded to ignore all nutritious knowledge and head to Molly Moons with Trevor. Good choice.
After sampling lavender honey and strawberry coconut milk, I settled on half "scout" mint (with girl scout cookies in it!) and half theo chocolate (just in case I didn't get enough that day) all heaped into the best waffle cone I have ever had. It was fun to catch up with Trevor, watch people walking through Wallingford and have some good laughs.
Well Alli G is back to California and I'm back to reality in Seattle. Lucky for me reality includes hanging out at Alki, drinking coffee at all hours, lots of reading and decorating our house.

Man, I love summer.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha that last picture....

    1) I am so jealous of those cones.
    2) what is trevor growing on his face?!
    3) wish I could have joined! love you!!

    ReplyDelete