Wednesday, August 4, 2010

betcha can't guess what I'm gonna blog about...

I have no idea where my new obsession with blackberries came from, but fear not, it's going strong...I think it's a combo of I've never picked them before, they are free, and just the fact that it's summer. I spent the afternoon searching for berries throughout Magnolia and once again was not disappointed. Here are a few things I've learned and observed through this new fascination of mine...

Blackberry bushes have thorns. Lots of them. Wear shoes.


Don't get greedy, if you eat as much as you pick you will get a stomach ache, trust me I tried.


Bring someone tall with you to pick berries. They are helpful for the ones that look out of reach but soo good. It'll save you from climbing up that impossible black fence. Matt Van Deren, you'd be perfect for the job :)

Wash them before you eat them!! Or at least inspect them. I'm usually not a huge advocate for washing stuff, but I was driving home today, munching away on my freshly picked berries and out jumps this....yes, that is a worm.
Wild blackberries are much smaller than store bought. Sweeter too. Makes me wonder what they do to them.

In the summer months, keep a ziploc in your purse. It's served me well

Blackberries are great in anything. Pie, scones, ice cream, smoothies, cobbler, on top of yogurt. Seriously anything.



One ripe blackberry is worth 5 almost ripe ones. Be patient
And most importantly, always have a good answer about what you are doing when the neighbors walk by and give you funny looks...


No comments:

Post a Comment