Monday, August 2, 2010

more than just food.

Up until now, this blog has served solely as a place to share things that I've made, food I've eaten, and people we've had over for dinner. It's been on my heart lately that there is so much more to food and nutrition then just making scones that taste good or impressing the new friends with pasta. There so much more than just food...

I had the wonderful blessing this weekend of going down to portland to see my friend and first roommate. Joy was that random roommate that gets assigned, you look up on facebook and try to figure out before that awkward meeting in August when you all of a sudden live together. It could not have gone better and she has grown into someone that I love, have so much fun with and miss dearly when we are in different states.

This weekend we got to hang out, see her family, jump on the trampoline, play badminton (my first time), and sleep in the treehouse. Even though I don't see the Brennemans very often, they feel like family and I love all of them very much. Among the many conversations, I found joy and I talking about our futures. I relayed to her my dream of working with a non-profit doing nutrition in developing countries. We talked about how simple the concept of providing clean water is and yet how so many different places don't have that luxury. And all of a sudden, like a little slideshow in my mind, I remembered that exact conversation with her freshman year. We were sitting in our little white box of a room, getting to know each other and those exact words came out.

So I guess it's telling that I still have the same passion three years later. New city, new school, new roommate, new major and yet I still want to bring people clean water. I've been learning, finding out ways to help and waiting for God to use me. I guess I just need to keep waiting and see where that takes me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment